2017-05-23 Per Undén


UERRA MST meeting no 17

22 May 2017



Per Undén, Andrea Kaiser-Weiss, Richard Renshaw, Maarten Plieger, Else van den Besselaar, Gé Verver


Agenda approval

Progress reports updates from the WPs and Deliverables per WP

Status and plan of data production and archives

Review meeting at REA 7 June

UERRA GA end of November

WP4 and WP8 Workshops in the Autumn

Copernicus Climate Change services, any

Meetings and communication (EMS , Rome RA ICR5 inter alias)


Next MST meeting


Progress reports in the WPs


Manola is not able to join but we have discussed deliverables previously,
D1.7 delivered and D1.8 prepared (although the wording is unfortunate of things we don't have control over).
Inclusion in data bases is not up to us but it will be provided to several data bases and also the CDS manager has
been approached since other Copernicus projects will also deal with rescued data and it is a very appropriate
place for this.


There were reports from SMHI, MF, UB/DWD and Met Office.

Météo-France has come quite far in the production and will be able to complete 1961-2015 for end of September. The archiving may take one more month. The D2.8 is delayed until October due to the production.

SMHI HARMONIE is running well and finished any day now (even though a few years are left to archive). The D 2.7 will be done for September. It was suggested that we should harmonise each of our similar Deliverables of produced data sets and use a common template. Richard will ask the providers.

The UB COSMO work is proceeding and there are still a few GRIB2 issues to sort out. The production will hopefully be in time for the Deliverable D2.13.

Met Office is running a lot of production in 6 parallel stream and it is still slow and may take until the end of the year to finish. The 1980s are still running now.

D2.4 can and will be done now even without all the data set since it is also a documentation.

The individual (SMHI and UB and MF) producer's deliverables will be done in September so it is probably more realistic to have the common 2.14 with all the RRA producers in October. It is important though, to have it ready before the GA and WS s in November.



Reports were received from MET Norway, MS, DWD, KNMI. KNMI is preparing a plan for their work in WP3.

The production plan is highly relevant for WP3 and others. Richard Mladek updates the status quite well at ECMWF but it reflects mainly what has been produced and archived. Per will coordinate an updated plan for the remaining production in WP2.

The work is going well and advancing and each of the groups is addressing their specific aspects, e.g. for Scandinavian area and the Alps,a lot of work was done on precipitation evaluation by MetNo and MeteoSwiss. . For Germany, the focus is on comparison of wind speeds against station and mast measurements where also the existing RRA COSMO-REA6 is compared with HARMONIE, MESCAN and UM. The time periods chosen are limited by the data availability and foremost the priority periods used.

There are no major problems and with cons and pros for all of the models involved, some are better for certain aspects whereas others have advantages in for other scores. We see advantages due to high horizontal resolution and hourly outputs.

There is not really any pan-European evaluation among the three groups working now (except for the surface solar radiation which is compared against CM SAF satellite products). The pan-European evaluation of wind fields is planned by DWD but limited by the availability of independent observations. Valuable work by KNMI is expected covering the European domain and for temperature as well. It is natural with the E-OBS data set. Daily mean temperatures will be investigated.

KNMI will also do indices (in WP4). The plan from KNMI will be done in June and discussed with Andrea.

Before that, the groups are asked to provide preliminary results for the progress report and presentation at the Brussels review meeting, for 1 June to prepare for 7 June.

The results will prepare for the scientific report (D 3.6) due in September and it will in turn prepare for the evaluation WS in November. It will also build on the evaluation reports, especially D 2.14, from WP2.



The MARS work at ECMWF is going on very actively now and can be followed on the wiki UERRA pages (and in the Mars Catalogue).

The work on the UERRA ESGF node hase progressed well. A contiguous 15 year temperature data set for the SMHI RRA has been extracted for every 6 hours and converted to NetCDF. The metadata could be just follow the CORDEX definitions but CLIPC has some more possibilities so CLIPC standard will be followed. The Deliverable D 4.4 is being written and will include documentation of the ESGF set up. It will be valuable if the information of the data set is spread in the climate community and KNMI will do that.

The data in MARS seems OK but there was a question of the precipitation at 1 hour but this is OK (I just checked and it contains non-zero values as well).

Climate indices will be computed from reanalyses and will be in the KNMI plan. I remind that DWD and other RRA producers should be informed about the contents and results before publication.


A possibility to participate with UERRA in an African WS has come up. Climate change in Africa, Marrakesh, 6-11 November. An abstract has been submitted and but the deadline is still some month away and then we will know. It is more scientifically oriented WS which is fine but we are also keeping our eyes open for any other such events.


The planning of the second User workshop is going to start now.

It will be coordinated with the WP3 evaluation WS which is also back to back with the GA in Tarragona, see below.

A video meeting will be set up with Andrea and Per.


Telephone meeting is scheduled for June.

WP 3 and WP8 Workshops in the autumn

The WP8 user workshop will be coordinated with the WP3 evaluation WS which is also back to back with the GA in Tarragona. It makes strong sense to have the two workshops together as a common Workshop and for 1.5 days, the Thursday and Friday until mid-day, 30/11 and 1/12. There is overlap between the two and the users in the User WS are expected to be knowledgeable in meteorology and with scientific background so there should not be any problems with evaluation results of a scientific character. They can be discussed before the user oriented parts.

It is generally advised that we formulate the results of the evaluation in such away that the problems shown don't discourage users from the entire data sets. We will be open with all things found but must balance the conclusions bearing in mind different user perspectives.

Reporting to our PO at REA

On 7 June Per, Richard, Andrea and Gé will go to the last Review meeting at REA.

Per will ask and discuss an agenda with Monika.

Status and plan of data production and archiving and impact

Action: The production plan will be updated and disseminated.


Meetings and communication


EMS meeting 4-8 September. Several UERRA abstracts have been submitted for the reanalysis session.

HIRLAM/ALADIN Workshop Helsinki 3-6 April with UERRRA participation.

EGU meeting with UERRRA participation (Eric Bazile).

Participation planned at the 5th International Conference on Reanalysis (ICR5), 13 - 17 November 2017 in Rome, Italy.

GA eo 2017, 28-29 November

As mentioned above, it may be colocated with the WP3 and WP8 Workshops, to be confirmed. Moreover it may be from afternoon Monday to noon Friday, if it is convenient to travel that way. 
Last, but not less, to let you know that there is already booked a meeting room at the chancellorship building, an old modernist slaughter building in Tarragna's old city (http://www.urv.cat/en/about/directory/how-to-get/1/edifici-rectorat)  that can be reached on foot and sightseeing in the medieval and roman part of Tarrgona when walking to there. There is also many restaurant options around. We haven't yet made any block reservation for the attendees to the last GA, since the hotel that we use to accommodate our guests (Imperial Tarraco Hotel: http://www.husa.es/fotos-hotel-husa-imperial-tarraco.htm)  with beautiful balconies looking at the sea seems to be in poor maintenance conditions these days. Therefore, I've been advised to offer you other also central hotels, such as Hotel Lauria (http://www.hotel-lauria.com/fotos/) or Hotel Plaça La Font (http://hotelpdelafont.com/),  the latter in the old city, and both two cheaper than Hotel Imperial Tarraco (about less than 70 euros is the agreed price for URV, I think). Please, look at the options and let us know whether we should make a block booking in any of them and for how many bedrooms, roughly, or if just sending hotel options to the attendees would be fine.  


Next MST meeting

In about 3 month's time.

Action points

See the statements in bold in the text above and below, extracted

Harmonise each of our similar WP2 deliverables of produced data sets and use a common template. Richard will ask the providers. (WP2)

The plan detailing WP3 activities of KNMI will be provided by 1st pf June (WP3)

provide preliminary results for the progress report and presentation at the Brussels review meeting, for 1 June (DWD, MetNO, MeteoSwiss)

information of the data set is spread in the climate community (KNMI)

The planning of the second User workshop (WP8)

A video meeting will be set up (WP8)

Action: The production plan will be updated and disseminated. (WP2/4)

Per will ask and discuss an agenda with Monika. (review)


Deliverables' status


D1.8 : Inclusion of D1.3, D1.4, D1.5, D1.6 data in the ECA&D system and MARS archive (URV 2 pm, UEA 1 pm) [month 36] March. Now end of May

D 1.14 Gridding uncertainty estimate. Was to be done before end of year, now before end of February. It was shown at the GA in November and it was clear that it needed a higher resolution master grid and involves both KNMI and MS(EDI) and more testing. There are no dependencies and it is better to have the work properly done and arrive at a fully satisfactory code and algorithm(s). Delivered


D 2.4 Ensemble diagnostics and documentation. M42. Even if all production is not completed, the report will be written and delivered during June (M42).

D 2.7 HARMONIE datasets M 45

D 2.8 MESCAN downscaling M45

D 2.9 MESCAN ensemble. M30. Delayed from September – was to be end of November, now it was almost completed before Christmas but will be finished before mid March. It does not delay anything, but the report needs results from the runs which were delayed.

D 2.13 Kalman filter ensemble diagnostics M45

D 2.14 RA uncertainty estimation M45. Discussion taken up by Peter.

D 3.6 Scientific Assessment M45

D 3.7 Synthesis workshop M45

D 3.8 User synthesis. M48

D 4.4 : Implementation of ESGF (Earth System Grid Federation) node for at least one UERRA dataset (KNMI 8pm) [month 36]. The ESGF node at KNMI for UERRA was set up early autumn after many difficulties but it is there. E-OBS (observational gridded data have been put there (since KNMI produces them anyway and partly for / within UERRA. A 15 month period of temperature from the SMHI RRA will be put there. Soon ready.

D 4.5 Climate indices M48

D 4.7 Hydrological evaluation M45

D 4.8 TRIP evaluation M45

D 5.1 GA and REA meetings M48

D 6.2 MST meetings and minutes M48

D 6.3 ESAB meetings M48

D 7.2 Training material DWD, M48

D 7.5 EU brief III M48

D 7.9. African Workshop. An abstract submitted for a WS in November.

D 8.3 Second Workshops involving external climate service providers. M42 (June), M46? Will be colocated with the GA in November. Will be discussed with our PO.

D 9.4 Meeting minutes (Overarching, KNMI) M48