2016-09-21 Per Undén

UERRA MST meeting no 14, 21 September 2016



Per Undén, Manola Brunet, Andrea Kaiser-Weiss, Richard Renshaw, Else van den Besselaar, Gé Verver


Agenda approval

Progress reports updates from the WPs

Brussels review meeting outcome and periodic report

Plan of data production and archives and access to the data

Deliverables' status

Copernicus Climate Change services and UERRA approach

UERRA Meetings, GA and showcase WS in November


Next MST meeting

Progress reports in the WPs

The agenda was approved.


The data set of all the recent UERRA rescued and quality controlled station values is almost complete except for some 8% dubious values that remain. They will be checked later (October-November) and the data set with the Deliverable short report will be submitted next week.

There is a question for the subsequent Deliverables (homogenisation, use in UERRA, archives, E-OBS updates) are affected and if the complete or partial data sets will be used.

The data sets will be put on the ZENODO server from the start and then be updated whereas for UERRA and other repositories it is best to wait for the completed quality controlled and homogenised version. ECMWF will be provided with ASCII format and we aim for them to archive them in MARS ODB format probably. If we can use them in time (ODB feedback or perhaps the ASCII? (my comment) there are data also from the 90:s and later from e.g. Catalonia and Germany.

The gridding resolution assessments at KNMI will be submitted (D 1.11) on Monday (26th).


At UB Lilo is running and has run 2008. MF Downscaling MESCAN reanalysis has been run for 10 years and the 2006-2010 period has been finished. The MO needed to restart the production from 1979 due to problems reading the BUFR data. SMHI is half way through their reanalyses but are now short of computer time which will hopefully solved soon, if time can be given from the Met Office allocation.


There is a Deliverable D 3.5 Preliminary assessment due in October and Andrea is sending out a questionnaire to the WP3 partners about their input. Since it is preliminary it will not wait for so much more data available but it is important to synchronise the years to investigate and the years of production in WP2.

There was a mistake in one variable definition for the archives and we will check again to make sure it is all what we agreed. It will not be possible to change later.

A question was raised about the WP3 workshop next year (Synthesis) and if it can be colocated with the WP8 one and even the final GA. If it is at M45, there is less time for writing up in WP8 but it is felt there is still enough. The MST agreed to aim for colocating and back-to-back in time.


The MARS work at ECMWF is now very critical for the UERRA RA as SMHI is in production. The tools and grib_api are now ready for conversion and archiving in GRIB2 and data in the right format and contents have been provided by SMHI and UB (as far as we know) and MF and MO are soon there. The archiving should start within days.

The ESGF system is now working at KNMI and it is ready for UERRA data to be put there. E-OBS data have been provided and then we should let KNMI know about e.g. the 2008 data. Also one can limit to the most popular data. On should contact Wim Som de Cerff (and at the CLIPC This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. mail address ) when you want to put data in there.


There will not be a African Workshop this Autumn in Angola, as previously announced. Instead, a ETCCDI workshop is now foreseen in Spring 2017 in Botswana (organised by Omar Baddour from WMO/CCl) with UERRA contribution and outreach. It is a long further delay but nothing we can do anything about.


No new activities.


The Lessons learned Deliverable is still not finished due to some not submitted their reports but it will be submitted as it is with only one missing. There will

Brussels review meeting outcome and periodic report

There were many questions and recommendations and a list of actions to be taken by the Project and the Coordinator, inter alias the delayed Deliverables, plan how to do the production and archiving and the consequences. We have to complete before end of September.

Data production and archiving delays and impact on WP3 and plan

Richard has mailed the partners and asked for input and got from UB and just now from MF and others will follow soon.

Deliverables' status

D 1.5 Dare quality control. It will be delayed by 2-3 months (from M30). Eo September

D 1.11 Gridding resolution assessments. Due M30 and will be done in July. Eo September

D 2.3 Ensemble variational DA diagnostics delayed until September. October now

D 2.6 HARMONIE initial production. M30. Diagnostics will be carried out for some of the data and a report written but somewhat delayed. Eo September

D 2.9 MESCAN ensemble. M30. It will be ready in September – now it will be October

D 2.10 MESAN cloud analysis. M24. Delayed some months into or the end of summer. October

D 3.5 Preliminary assessment. October

D 7.9. African Workshop. Delayed but will be done in connection with other activities in the late autumn. Now delayed to spring 2017.

D 9.3 Lessons learned. M24. In process but not all contributions yet. The ones completed will be submitted.

Copernicus climate change services, plans

This will be discussed on Monday.

Meetings and communication

REA will organise a collocation workshop with the Projects 28-29 September. It will first be about communicating uncertainties and on the second day more exchanges between the projects and ESA, DG CLIMA etc.

GA eo 2016 and Showcase event and Project review meeting(s)

The next GA is announced 21-23 and the showcase WS 23-24 November.

There is some concern how much will be available for November, but ECMWF sounded quite hopeful for the MARS developments and not it is mainly the question to populate the archives from the UERRA runs. It is a showcase event, i.e. we will demonstrate new products and not the final ones. The advantage with the location at ECMWF is that there is a good potential to reach many users. We hope and think there will be University and ECMWF incl. Copernicus and Met Office and some external users maybe from France and Germany. The Coordinator will make announcements even though the time is short. Also for the Project group, it will be useful.

Both WP4, WP3 and WP1 can demonstrate what is available.

Next year we will anyway have two WSs , one second WP8 and one final WP3 and both oriented towards products and users. (See above and probably together and with the final GA.


Next MST meeting

Before the GA, i.e. early in November.

Action points